Topics for Compositions (expressing an opinion). Look at Summit pages
94-95 to review the formats.
Use the following topics for practice for Module G. You can e-mail
them to me (firstname.lastname@example.org) and receive them later with my comments. You can also suggest new topics that interest you.
Express your opinion:
1. Many Israelis believe that Israel should have a presidential election
system, like USA, with only 2-3 political parties.
2. Israel's defense budget is enormous, while its education budget
is reduced repeatedly.
3. Boys and girls should be given the same toys to play with.
4. Many people think that honesty is the best policy, whereas others
believe that little white lies and / or flattery can be very helpful.
5. The world belongs to the young.
6. There should be no capital punishment because it does not deter
criminals from committing crimes. Agree or disagree.
7. In different places around the world, certain breeds of dogs,
such as the pit bull terrier, have been banned because it is felt that these dogs have the potential to be killers.
8. The use of cell phones in public places should be banned.
9. Many people feel that the technological advances have not necessarily
made us happier people.
10. The world is quickly becoming a global village. Many people think that
this is a positive development, while others feel that it is not.
11. Today youngsters around the world have much more in common than
they had in the past. Do you agree?
12. With the advance of medical technology, it is possible for a
patient to be kept alive even when his/her medical condition is hopeless. Should doctors be allowed to terminate a dying patient's
life if he/she wishes it?
13. Controversy in public discourse plays an important role in developing
ideas in democratic societies. However, it usually leads to verbal violence. Describe the aggressive atmosphere in Israel,
explain the dangers and suggest peaceful methods for solving controversy.
14. Exprss your opinion on ecological preservation in Israel.
15. Lack of students' discipline in school leads to violence
and poor academic achievements. Write an article which describes the problem and its effect on academic achievements
and school atmosphere. Suggest ways to improve the situation.
16. Towards the 21st century: write an article for a youth magazine
in which you describe future reality as you predict it. You can relate to political, ecological, social, religious, technological,
economic, military aspects. Suggest ways to prepare for this reality.